I am definitely a huge berry lover 😉 The fact that berries are not only tasty, but also healthy, make me feel even better. Spring/ summer is a great time to add fresh berries to your everyday meals, because fresh berries are full of vitamins and antioxidants. Moreover, berries are aiding in weight loss and are low in calories. Even if you are having a strict diet, you would be able to add a cup of mixed berries to your meal plan every day.
If you are the type of person who is constantly calculating calories – substitute one of your meals (breakfast or dinner) with a big cup of mixed berries or so popular Smoothie drink. Actually in a one cup of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries is only (!) about 50 calories.
Have you heard about superfood? Among other products berries are superfood and mixing them, you’ll get an amazing beauty vitamin cocktail for fabulous skin and for your health. Nevertheless, as probably everyone else, when it comes to the berries, I do have my favorites:
- Strawberries – contain key fruit acids, including AHAs. Contain folic acid that aids in cell regeneration and the production of new cells. Source of dietary fibre that helps in eliminating harmful toxins that in turn helps to prevent acne and pimples. In addition strawberries are rich source of vitamin C that helps to prevent skin premature aging and collagen destruction.
- Blueberries – aids in fighting the signs of aging, because blueberries are an abundant source of Vitamin B. It also means that blueberries prevent premature graying and are beneficial for maintaining healthy hair, since they stimulate the hair growth due to proanthocyanidins (PAs – very powerful antioxidants that remove harmful free oxygen radicals from cells), containing in them. Moreover everyday consumption of blueberries prevents and cures acne. In addition these berries are rich in soluble fibers, therefore you feel full after eating them for a longer period of time.
- Cherries – High water content in cherries plays an important role to skin hydration, they contain beta-carotene that protect the skin from sun damage (harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun). Powerful antioxidants contained in cherries (Anthocyanins) prevent the skin from free radicals, thus preventing the premature ageing. However in terms of calories – one cup of cherries contains about 100 calories, that is more than in other types of berries.
I prefer fresh berries, preferably mixed – to get more sophisticated taste without adding any yoghurt or sugar. In the morning I add berries to my granola or cereals, that is a really healthy mix, especially if your cereals are sugar-free ;-). And, of course, I love desserts and pastries with fresh or frozen berries! It is not the most healthy option, but sometimes we have to indulge ourselves and eat whatever we want to eat without feeling guilty. Am I right? 😉
At the times when I feel a real need for a healthy dose of vitamins, I go for Fresh berries smoothie!
The smoothie that I enjoy from time to time is easy to make, and does not require any specific preparation. While this smoothie is nutritious, tasty and rich source of vitamins, it is a great start of the day and is very refreshing!
For 2 smoothies you’ll need:
- Glass of Almond milk (I like the taste of almond milk more than the other type of milks, the almond milk contains the same range of vitamins and usually only heart-healthy fats)
- 1/2 tea spoon of Chia seeds (apart from being rich in fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants etc., it will give your smoothie the nice consistency)
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1/2 cup of strawberries
- 1 frozen banana cut into chunks (you may use fresh banana, but the frozen one will give the same crunchy pieces as the ice would)
Natural beauty starts from healthy eating! Take advantage of fresh berries season and have your dose of vitamins for well-being! Cheers!