As my summer vacation is getting closer, I’m starting to prepare my vacation beauty bag. And I’m not the one who can pack light 🙂 🙂 🙂 Although I’m trying to choose sample sizes or mini versions of my everyday beauty products, the special (and the most important) category in my vacation beauty bag is devoted to full-size sunscreens. I buy new sunscreens every season and say goodbye to those of them that I didn’t finish last year because they don’t reflect the marketed protection anymore.
Every year the brands throughout the world experimenting with the new and innovative ingredients and every next product they produce is better than the previous one. This is the next reason why I buy new sunscreens every season.
This year I’ve decided to go for 50+ SPF protection. Yes, I’m not going to get the most tanned skin, but I’m ok with that 😉 The summer is going to be hot and sunny and I prefer to be protected.
Do you know that SPF number relates only to UVB rays, meaning that it doesn’t protect you from UVA rays?!? While UVB rays cause sunburn and make your skin look red, UVA rays responsible for premature aging of the skin and the appearance of pigmentation marks and therefore UVA rays are the most damaging because they cause long-term damage to your skin. So, we need protection from both – UVA and UVB rays, thus always look for additional UVA ray protection sign on the packaging!
If you are wondering what kind of protection to choose, I’ve found great SPF selection guide based on your skin tone:
Keep in mind that if you have some particular concerns like pigmentation or sensitivity, you have to choose higher SPF factor than recommended. During the years I’ve discovered some great sunscreen brands that I could recommend to everyone who is looking for a good sunscreen. My TOP 3 sunscreen brands are:
If you are looking for the sunscreens to use on the beach, when you could use one combined cream for face & body. However if you are looking for a daily sunscreen, it becomes a bit more complicated. Have you ever experienced the sticky and shiny effect after applying SPF protection? I’m sure you have ;-). While I’m loving the glowing effect, I don’t like the oily shine especially on my face!
And I’m happy to share with you my finds in the area of daily face sunscreens that doesn’t leave you with sticky and shiny face :-):
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL line face fluid light – this is definitely my all time favorite! It is so lightweight that even if you are not wearing make up, your skin looks smooth and matte! Great for oily/ combination/ normal skin! Definitely recommend to try this!
- SkinCeuticals Protect Ultra Facial Defence SPF50+ – lightweight formula (but not as light as the previous one) that easily blends into the skin. Could be used as a makeup base, doesn’t leave white marks on the skin. It combines SPF and moisturizing properties, therefore it has richer texture than La Roche-Posay fluid. Although SkinCeuticals SPF products initially designed to use in conjunction with other SkinCeuticals products, like C or E vitamin, they are working great on their own as well.
- Coola Mineral Cucumber Face SPF 30 – this is a mineral-based daily sunscreen. There are not a lot of good natural sun protection products on the market, although I guess the demand for such products is very high. This sunscreen should be on your shelf if you are the one who is looking for the natural alternatives to the chemical SPF filters.
Some great body sunscreens to try:
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL line body spray – La Roche-Posay is my absolute favorite, because their sunscreen line is awesome! It is particularly suitable for sensitive skin owners and for those who have sun intolerance problem. This body spray don’t have any smell that I appreciate a lot! Could be used on the beach as well as when you are going to spend a lot of hours outside.
- Babe Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50+ – this lotion is also suitable for sensitive skin, I like that it gives a matt finish to the skin. In addition to sunscreen features it is enriched with vitamin E and Babe soothing complex.
In addition don’t ignore after-sun creams and lotions – I’m not saying that it is necessary to use, but it is definitely worth to use 😉 After the sun exposure our skin needs special treatment to keep our skin moisturized and smooth.
The after-sun products I have in my beauty bag this year:
- La Roche-Posay Posthelios gel – hydrating after-sun gel. Although the product is a bit greasy, my skin feels nourished and rehydrated after using it.
- La Roche-Posay Posthelios antioxidant hydra-gel – cooling after-sun antioxidant gel. I love the cooling effect that gives this gel, I feel very refreshed afterwards. In comparison to the previous posthelios gel this one absorbs very quickly.
Another interesting thing that I’ve found out recently – the sunscreens in Europe and US are absolutely different! The sunscreens made in US don’t comply with super sophisticated and strict EU standards. Therefore if you are from Europe and going to US this summer, definitely grab the sunscreen at your home country. Even thought the brands sell their products worldwide the ingredients are adapted to the particular country’s or region’s regulations. Funny enough that some of my SPF favorites mentioned in this post are actually US brands!
I wish you all great summer and see you when I’ll be back from my vacation 😉